Saturday, April 5, 2014

A Few Tiyulim (field trips)

     There have been a few tiyulim in the last couple weeks that I either wasn't able to attend or am not going to explain in depth. Here they are.

1) Belvoir and Tzfat. The students began the day at the crusader castle Belvoir in northern Israel. Here they heard the speech which sparked the crusades, and talked about some of their causes and effects. After that they went to Tzfat, home of Kabblah (Jewish mysticism). While in Tzfat they talked about the expulsion of the Jews from Spain and their development of Kabblah as a way to try and make sense of this tragedy. They also learned about Kabbalah itself and a few of its most important developers.

2) Poland. We spent a week in Poland learning about and seeing sites connected with the Shoa (Holocaust). We arrived in Warsaw and went straight to the traditional Jewish cemetery, where we learned about the hundreds of years of Jewish life in Warsaw prior to the Shoa. Then we went to where the ghetto used to be and talked about different types of resistance, ranging from Mordecai Annilevich and the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising to Janusz Korczak and his refusal to abandon his orphans. Next we went to Tykocin to talk about Shtetl (small Jewish town) life as exemplified by Fiddler on the Roof. After learning about Jewish life in the Shtetl in the morning we drove to Leprachova Forest to see where the Jews of the town had been shot into large pits.
     The next day we were in Lublin, site of one of the most famous pre-Holocaust Yeshivot, Yeshivat Chochmei Lublin (Yeshiva of the Wise Men of Lublin). Here we studied a bit of Talmud to try and bring some Jewish life back into the building. In the afternoon we went to Majdonik, an extermination camp in which virtually everything is still standing (the Nazis, due to the speed of the Soviet army and the poor management of the camp's leader, didn't have time to destroy it). I'm not going to talk about it other than to say its probably the worst place in the whole world and has the most difficult site I've ever seen: an enormous pile of human ashes.
     The next morning we had a lovely tour of medieval Krakow. We had some free time in the Old Town Square and the headed over to the traditional Jewish Quarter (called Kazimierz) where we visited a number of btei knesset (synagogues). My class, in particular, had a fascinating discussion at the progressive Tempel Synagogue about how we should relate to our beit knesset and to Israel. At the end of the day we walked to where the Krakow ghetto stood and talked about ghetto life there. Then, the vice principal gave a moving talk about the righteous among the nations, people who saved Jewish lives during the Holocaust and our officially recognized by Yad VaShem, the Holocaust Memorial in Israel.
     Our last day was spent at Auschwitz-Birkenau, where 1.5 million Jews died in the Holocaust. I'm not going to say anything else about it other than that it, too, is a strong candidate for worst place in the world. All of the students blogged about their experience in Poland and I'd encourage you to read some of them.

3) Women of the Wall and Nachlaot. The students went to pray for Rosh Chodesh (the new month) with an organization called Nashot HaKotel (Women of the Wall), who advocate for equal rights at the Kotel. Afterward they went to Nachlaot, a collection of neighborhoods that were among the first outside the walls of the Old City. Here they saw many of the institutions of a living Kehila Kdosha (holy community). In Poland we talked quite a bit about these institutions, but, unfortunately, few of them still exist today.

4) This past Thursday the students spent the whole day at Hebrew Union College, the Rabbinical College of the Reform Movement. In the morning they watched a great Israeli movie called "Walk on Water." Afterward, we had speakers representing the Ultra-Orthodox, Modern Orthodox and Conservative Movements come speak to the students. I hope they'll share some of their reactions to these speakers in the comments. 

12 comments:

  1. One thing i really liked about Poland is that you told us to try to take a name back to Israel when we were in the cemetery and also when we were in Auschwitz. When you said it both times, I did not think I was going to because the thought of forcing myself to memorize a name did not sound meaningful, but both times I optionally found a name that stood out to me and it ended up being very meaningful and I took them both back to Israel with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The day we spent at HUC was AMAZING. I feel that so many of my questions that I have had about Judaism have finally been answered. The most interesting response that I got was out of the Ultra-Orthodox speaker which was a story he told. He used the story to explain how religion can still possibly retain its significance when there are such major advancements in technology and science -- which can greatly dilute religion as a whole. He said that there was once a group of men who wanted to hike a very tall mountain. It was a very physically and mentally demanding hike, and it took many weeks to complete. Once they reached the top, they were met with a group of young children playing by themselves. The men ask how they got there and they replied, "We were born here." The speaker explained how the Jews are the little children in this story because we are born with the answers, as opposed to people like the hikers who are searching and working for something that is already there. To me this was the most important thing I got out of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaron, the exact story you talked about is also what stood out to me the most. I thought it was a really interesting way of looking at things, but at the same time I'm not sure I totally agree. I can't imagine that science will arrive at all the same conclusions that Judaism has, but I really like the idea, and I know it's not supposed to be interpreted completely literally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed going to the kotel to pray with the woman of the wall. All my years at camp Anut Hoffman has come to camp as faculty and tought us about the this amazing organization. I was always so inspired by the things these strong woman have accomplished. So to be able to pray with these powerful woman at the wall was amazing. It was so crazy to learn about everything they have accomplished. Thanks to the woman of the wall woman are aloud to wearing tifillin, woman can read torah at the wall, we can sing and dance, girls can have a bat mitzvah at the wall, as well as many other things. Although this year some of the men and woman said rude or hash things to us as we prayed we just continued to pray and ignored them, I believe by not giving the orthodox Jews the reaction they want makes us stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed listening to the different speakers at HUC, but naturally I had differing opinions. The last speaker, the one who recently found himself being Orthodox, surprised me. He was very curt and open about his beliefs. I was happy that we got someone who was honest and didn't BS us. At the same time, though, his repitition of the idea that Reform and Conservative Jews are wrong became a little excessive. One thing that he said stood out to me, which was that Reform Jews are very focused on "me". However, why should I let another person's opinions or beliefs rule my life and religion?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with what you said about the Orthodox speaker, Shoshana. I personally find Reform Judaism not to be about myself but about how I can positively contribute to my community. Making educated decisions about Jewish law comes from my personal beliefs, but it does not mean that I center my religion on me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought that going HUC was very informative and it was a pleasure to go to. Seeing different perspectives from 3 different points of Judaism is important to learn about so I could learn more about the Jewish culture. Also, watching "Walk on Water" has made me see that being lower generations of a Nazi member could effect anyone relating to that person. Anyway I feel like it was a tiyul well worth going on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought the tiyul to HUC was very insightful. I feel like in class the only things we learn about orthodox people are negative. I really enjoyed hearing the ideas and rules of a few different sects of Judaism. I'm glad I can now have more of an insight on different sects for when we talk about them in class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ever since I was in sixth grade, I've been really interested in Women of the Wall. In eighth grade, my final project for Hebrew was an essay about them, and for a side project about non-profit organisations I made a billboard and pamphlet for them. Most of the women in my life have Women of the Wall tallitot, and my dad sold them at his store. When I came to Israel for the first time last year, I was promised that we could go pray with them for the rosh chodesh of that month. I was so excited, it was going to be the highlight of my trip. But then it wound up being much too dangerous, and I was forbidden to go; it broke my heart. Now, going back there and being able to participate and seeing women singing freely at the kotel made my heart soar, and I am so happy that it is finally allowed, and safe. It means so much to me that I was able to go pray with Women of the Wall not just once, but twice in my time here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed the tiyul to HUC. I thought that the fact that almost all reform rabbis go to that school in their first year when going through the HUC system. It felt like such a community it was so awesome! Plus, that secret garden was beautiful. My favorite thing was learning about the different sects. I had never really took time to look into the different sects of Judaism and it made me to thinking if I should become more religious. I also thought that the ultra-orthodox was very interesting. I asked them, as ultra-orthodox you are supposed to live your life by the laws of halacha. How do ultra-orthodox justify riots that turn violent, and throwing dirty diapers at people you disagree with regarding halacha? There answer was so interesting and it was so nice knowing that no matter what my question was, they wouldn't be offended. It was just a very insightful experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After listening to our conversation in class I have to agree with what Eli said. I have come to the conclusion that the Tanakh is not divine in the fact that God wrote it but it is divine in what it teaches. We can't just use any book with good morals because as Max said this is our book. We have been using this book for generations and it would be an insult to our ancestors if we were to just throw that away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Starting off the exchange program to Israel with a great conversation about wether the Tanakh is divine or not, was exactly the type of conversation that I came to Israel to have. This kind of conversation is one that rarely occurs in public school, since we do not go into depth about a particular religion. I think that this really limits a person's thoughts about particular religions, and only provides them with an outline of the religion. Mainly in the discussion we had in class, I loved having different sects of Judaism come together and discuss the Tanakh. I feel that it gave me a different view on the topic that I would never have thought of. I look forward to many more great talks in Jewish History Class.

    ReplyDelete