Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Current Events

     Hackers target Israel...again. (The video is super creepy) It's not the first time and somehow I doubt that it will be the last. These attacks mean that Israel has to devote quite a bit of resources to protecting our online infrastructure. On the other hand, I think it has at least two positive consequences. One, it forces us to become world leaders in cyber security. For example, a new center for cyber security is already up and running in Be'er Sheva. Here are some articles about it. This is likely to, among other things, be good for the economy. Two, the fact that we are attacked as early and often as we are makes it less likely we'll ever suffer a catastrophic attack. We were also an early and frequent target of modern terrorism, which meant that we developed methods for dealing with it. Because of this I find it unlikely Israel will ever suffer as an enormous an attack as something like September 11; we had the "good fortune" of learning to deal with modern terrorism before it got as sophisticated as it is now.
     An Arab-Israeli woman just won Israel's most popular TV show, "Master Chef." While I don't want to act like this fact whitewashes very serious problems Israel, including racism against Arabs (and ultra-orthodox Jews and Mizrahi/Eastern Jews), I do think its an accurate reflection of Israeli society. How many of our Arab neighbors do you think would allow a Jew to win a major, public contest?
     Tel Aviv University tends to be an extremely liberal place. It's common knowledge that universities generally are quite liberal, as are big cities. But Tel Aviv, especially, has a liberal reputation. For example, it's often listed as one of the most gay-friendly cities in the world. A quick google search turns up dozens of gay Tel Aviv guides like this one. Considering how liberal Tel Aviv University is perhaps it should come as no surprise that they've allowed a convicted terrorist to come and speak at a student-run event, sparking protests at the school. On the one hand, this seems like a victory for free speech. On the other hand, I think it's important to ask whether a publicly financed university should allow a speaker like this.
     Bias alert: I love Thomas Friedman, op-ed writer for the New York Times. In this recent article he contends that Sheldon Adelson, Jewish, right wing billionaire, is accidentally helping Ayatollah Khameini, leader of Iran. While I think this may be a little bit over the top, I agree with Friedman's point that Adelson's far right position makes it much easier for the world to focus on and criticize Israel, taking attention away from the big threat, Iran's development of a nuclear weapon.
     While it doesn't show its statistics, this article claims that Berlin has the world's fastest growing Jewish community. Regardless, I asked the students how they felt about this, considering that there are still ex-members of the Nazi party walking the streets (and certainly their children and grandchildren, and they were all fine with it. Some of them even consider it a positive development that Jewish life is returning to Germay. While I understand intellectually that it's unfair to blame modern day Berlin or the children/grandchildren of the people who perpetrated one of history's most heinous crimes, it still bothers me deep down in my kishkes (guts). I'm not sure I could live there.
     A group of African-Americans have their own Jewish-ish (though not recognized as Jewish by any official Jewish organization as far as I know) community in Dimona, Israel (a development town way down in the Negev Desert).
     Over the last year Israel has released a number of Palestinian prisoners in a show of good faith to get the peace talks moving along (others would call it surrendering to blackmail). When we talked about this in class I explained to the students that, while there may be any number of good reasons to keep these people in jail, it's unlikely that they're likely to commit violent crimes in the future for the simple reason that the vast majority of violent crime is committed by young men (yes, it's true, my father is a professor of criminology). It turns out that at least one of them is actually trying to build bridges by teaching Hebrew to other Palestinians.
     While the Arab Spring hasn't exactly worked out as well as many of us would have liked, there have certainly been some positive consequences, including, according to this article, the blossoming of Arab art.
     In case making anti-semitic gestures wasn't getting him into enough trouble, French soccer player Nicolas Anelka recently said that the French Prime Minister's public opposition to the gesture was due to his Jewish wife. Awesome.
     A "lost" mikve was recently rediscovered in the Netherlands. As we spoke about in class (and I wrote about on the blog) the expulsion from Spain in 1492 led to a large influx of Jews in the Netherlands, a very tolerant country at the time. These Sephardic Jews (and some Ashkenazim, too) were an important part of Dutch life up until the Holocaust. 

10 comments:

  1. The hacker video we watched in class really shows how advanced technology has become. It really scared me to know how powerful an attack can be even just over the computer. I also feel like Israel probably has higher technology then most countries, so I'm not too worried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This video made me think about the different biases regarding Israel. The hacker group Anonymous emphasized and exaggerated all the negative aspects of Israel, in order to make them out to be the bad guy. The things they said are very much not in agreement my opinion, which made me think about how anyone could make a similar video about the Palestinians. It makes me wonder how anyone can ever be sure of what they know, as everything you read has some bias in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous is easily the most well-known "hacktivist" group out there. They have such an incredible amount of influence on the opinion of society all while keeping their identity and operations relatively "low-key." The video they made is something Anonymous is known for, yet I had never seen a full length one like that. It was quite frankly scary and disturbing. Yes, there are of course many anti-Israel opinions out there, it was just very shocking to hear a whole one at this point in my life when I feel closest to Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Anonymous Israel really disturbed me because it looked like it came straight out of a movie. At no point while watching it did I think that it was real. When you said it was after the video, I was so surprised and unsettled. I can not believe that something that scary and so movie-like is a real thing that people in high positions have to deal with. I just hear about it but never have to deal with it and i do not know what i would do if it had to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing about Anonymous, and especially its (incredibly creepy) video, is that its target audience when advertising isn't people like us, who are educated about these matters. Like Jamie said, none of us thought it was real. It aims to influence the large portion of the world's population who don't know enough about Israel to make an informed decision. Since they don't know, they will be more easily manipulated by a video like the one we saw. They would be just as unsettled and scared as Jamie, only it would be of the Jews, not of Anonymous. All this is speculation, of course, seeing as I haven't actually encountered an uninformed individual who saw the video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hackers make me have less faith in some people in the world. Knowing that people would have the guts to go into someones privacy on the internet is just insane. I know some people where some of their accounts have been hacked and now they have to make new ones. Also the Nicolas Anelka gesture was unintentional when he did it. He was just gong to get a 5 game ban for it. Now I can see that it is getting out of hand

    ReplyDelete
  7. The amount of influence Anonymous has is incredible, and while I actually agree with some things they have done (though not necessarily their means of accomplishment), I think their actions toward Israel are appalling. Also, concerning Nicolas Anelka, when I first heard about what happened in December, I didn't think much of it - just a soccer player doing something stupid. His most recent stunt, however, shows that he is serious, which is actually worrying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In class we talked about the Jewish community in Germany and how it is growing. I agreed with many people in the class who said we believe it is good that the Jewish people live in Germany! I see it as so, if the Jewish people were to move out of Germany it would look as though Germany got what they wanted but by the Jewish people rebuilding and starting over shows we are strong! If the Jewish people were to move away every time something bad happen to us in a certain place there would be no where for us to live eventually. And we would not live in Israel today because the Jews have gone through slavery and distraction in the land of Israel to. Therefore there is no difference other then the fact that one happened recently and one was thousands of years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. During our torah study tonight, we raised an interesting question concerning terrorism and what actions are classified as acts of terrorism. We agreed that terrorism is defined as a fear tactic that targets a specific group of people based on ethnicity, religion, gender, etc... The discussion regarding the hackers targeting Israel sparked something in my head: are these hackers classified as terrorists? I don't think it's solely black or white, but they do share many of the attributes described in the definition. They are targeting Israel because of a certain religion, Judaism, and because of an ethnicity, the people of Israel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with everyone else. The Anonymous video scared me. It bothers me that a group would devote so much time and recourses to make a video like this. On the other hand, I had never heard of the group before, let alone the video. So I have to wonder how much influence the group has on society. Thinking back to the Kony video, I didn't know much about the topic, and after I saw the video I thought that I knew so much about the topic and look how that turned out. It worries me that some people, who do not know a lot about the topic will see the video, pretend to know everything, and start preaching those ignorant opinions.

    ReplyDelete